European Waste Reduction Week 2018
European Waste Reduction Week is run yearly and starts November 17th, 2018 running until Nov 25th This year Recycle IT want to encourage small businesses to go green for the week and longer.
What does Recycling mean?
Recycling means any recovery operation taking place after collection and by which waste materials are reprocessed into products, materials or substances whether for the original or other purposes. It includes the reprocessing of organic material but does not include energy recovery and the reprocessing into materials that are to be used as fuels or for back filling operations.
Recycle IT have assembled some easy to use office waste reduction tips and ideas which don’t cost much and will save you money in the long run!
Create a paperless office? – step by step!
It may be time to consider the idea by simply saying no to paper usage. Firstly, identify for what purposes you must use paper and how you can avoid paper use. Once you make the lists for both, then be sure to clearly announce the policy with timelines for change. then find a champions in the office to offer encouragement. Every office has an environmentally responsible person!
If your business must use paper, try to keep paper usage and waste to a minimum by
- Encouraging everybody in the office to edit documents on computers before printing.
- Store and share all office files digitally.
- Use both sides of a paper by setting up computers to automatically print on two-sided.
- Reuse small paper pieces for short memos.
- Stop using fax machines.
- Send report via email and share meeting documents using PowerPoint.
- Use al lighter weight papers in the office.
- Reuse envelopes by putting a label over the old address.
- Make use of electronic and voicemail and avoid paper mail wherever possible.
- Take actions to decrease unsolicited mail.
- Get a notice board or large screen to share information with colleagues
- Reduce spacing and margins when printing documents. (fit more on the page)
- Reuse, plastic sleeves, files and folders.
- Edit mailing lists to avoid sending unnecessary letter or post cards.
- Shredded paper can be recycled / repurposed as packaging filler for delivery boxes.
- Setup a ‘what’s app’ group to share general office information.
Waste Reduction Tips
- Although paper waste constitutes the largest portion of office waste, there are other types of waste which builds up over time so here are a few ideas!
- Purchase products with less packaging or with no packaging at all.
- Request that your office supplies be supplied in returnable containers and then return the emptied containers to the supplier on their next visit.
- Ask the suppliers to take packaging back for reuse or to enhance the feasibility for them to recycle large quantities of waste.
- Manage and reduce the number ink and toner cartridges purchased and used.
- Rent equipment that you use only occasionally rather than investing and storing in the workplace.
- Invest in high-quality everyday equipment that is durable, reusable and repairable.
- Encourage colleagues to have reusable cutlery, plates, and cups at their desks.
- Encourage staff teams to bring their lunch to work in reusable containers.
- Where opportunity permits introduce a compost or brown bin recycling at work
- Introduce waste education sessions to get staff buy in and keep staff updated on progress.
- Select plant landscaping that requires low maintenance and produces little waste.
Office Equipment Recycling.
Recycle electronic equipment, batteries, plastic, metal cans, and beverage containers. Consider developing a partnership with a local recycler if your office generates electronic or electrical waste. It might benefit both organisations!
Don’t allow old or unused electrical or electronic equipment take up space and collect dust. The sooner it is recycled, the quicker that valuable resources will be available for reuse, thus avoiding the mining of virgin raw materials.
Reduce travel, reduce carbon emissions and save money through Skype meetings or video calls. Allow staff work at home to save time, money and the planet.
To define your business or office to truly be “Green” you should consider making all the products and services your business uses and offers environmentally friendly. Start small and you will increasingly, recognise the value of environment sustainability for all your business operations
For more information please visit the European Waste Reduction Week website
Good luck with your European Waste Reduction Week.
About Recycle IT
Recycle IT is an award-winning and the only Community Electronic Recycling Social Enterprise providing a community collection service for all types of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE). Recycle IT offered collection services to 90,000 homes and businesses across Dublin and surrounding areas each year collecting a range of WEEE including monitors, TV’s and much more.
Our services are provided in partnership with WEEE Ireland We are authorized by the National Waste Collection Permit Office and the local authority. Visit our website for further details on our work.