WOW! Community Metal Recycling
Metal is just one of many materials we use daily in our lives and its really worth recycling when it has served its purpose. The type of objects that can be recycled include aluminum and steel cans, electrical appliances, silverware, office desks and chairs, old household pots and pans, school lockers. safety boots or zippers, the list is endless.
We recently learned that recycling one aluminum can, saves enough energy to run a TV for 3 hours and if that’s not enough, the amount of aluminum thrown away annually in the U.S. would rebuild their commercial air fleet four times per year. These are interesting facts which we hope will encourage you to think about metal as a scare resource and not just scrap. Without metal to manufacture, our daily trips to school by car or bus or our annual holidays by train, ferry or plane might not be as easy or affordable.
With that in mind we have complied 15 facts about recycling metal which you might find interesting.
- Metal recycling is good for the national economy and the environment e.g. increased local employment and reduced emissions.
- Recycling one tonne of steel saves 1,136 kg of iron ore, 454 kg of coal and 18 kg of limestone
- You can test which metal is in your bin is by using a magnet. Aluminium metal is non-magnetic whereas steel is magnetic. (Great learning for kids)
- Drinks cans are generally made from aluminium while food cans are usually made from steel.
- Metal recycling helps recreated new product once the original items has reached the end of its useful life.
- Recycling scrap metals including iron and aluminum can be benefit local construction project such as roads and bridges.
- Scrap metals are refashioned for use in creating bikes, cars, aircraft and other modes of transportation.
- Scrap metals aids in storage and transportation of goods across the world with many shipping containers created from recycled metal.
- Reusing scrap metal has supported many industries to reduce their environment impact e.g. reduced mining of natural and scare resources.
- Recycled aluminum can be melted at a much lower temperature than new aluminum therefore saving on energy.
- Scrap metal recycling helps reduce Co2 emissions created through mining, transport and smelting.
- Recycled, reused or re-purposed metals can be used to make beautiful and durable home furnishing and decorations. Think about the festive season!
- Recycling scrap metal reduces the need for landfills sites and leads to a positive effect on water supply, soil and land usage.
- Aluminium is made from an mined ore called Bauxite, which is converted into alumina, a fine white powder. This powder is then smelted at over 700°C, to become aluminium. The process is expensive and uses lots of resources including energy and fuel.
- The aluminium used in packaging is much more difficult to collect, since it is very light. It is discarded in every home, school, office, pub and restaurant without a thought so remember light metal e.g. kitchen foil.
Finally, did you know manufacturing recycled metal items requires an estimated 17 times less energy than manufacturing the same items from newly mined metal. Keep this in mind when replacing washing machines, cookers, ovens or hobs. They all contain metal which can be recycled. Recycle IT breakdown and recycle large household appliances daily. These include washing machines, dash washers and tumble dryers . Click here to view our gallery.
To learn more about recycling your once loved items give Recycle IT a call on 01 4578321. or visit our website
Click here to learn more about recycling computers, servers and metal racking