Waste Reduction Ideas from Recycle IT
Today more than ever before we understand our planet and how it works. We receive green news updates daily from many different sources and information about the earth, its ecosystems and the impacts of human activity is at our fingertips immediately.
As you know careful management of natural resources will have a long-lasting and positive effect on our environment and our way of life. We all have responsibility for ensuring that our government and local communities work together to protect our environment and our precious resources
As a starting point Recycle IT looked at a popular pastime in Ireland, “Shopping“.We assembled some tips below which hopefully can help you do an eco-friendly and green shop the next time out!
21 Eco Tips for Shopping
- Write a list of what you need to buy.
- Look at your needs versus your wants – ask yourself if you really need the item or really want unnecessary items?
- Make time to shop around in your area, look for cost-saving and eco-benefits.
- It’s best not to shop when you’re hungry or stressed.
- Don’t bring your kids shopping – it is stressful at times and you leave with more wants than needs!
- Buy fresh fruit & veggies with no packaging or it’s even better if you grow your own!
- Leave packaging behind. The stores will get the message!
- When buying a household cleaning product, always read the labels and look for natural and safe alternatives
- If you think cleaning products are toxic leave them behind.
- Try buying everyday items in bulk; it reduces the amount of packaging and saves money e.g. rice and pasta.
- Move to reusable products – avoid single-use products like batteries, nappies, disposable razors, plates or cutlery.
- Ask yourself some questions when shopping – Is it reliable? Can it be repaired, refilled, reused and restored?
- How will the product look, feel and function as it gets older? e.g. electrical or electronic items.
- Consider buying second-hand, hiring / renting or borrowing occasionally used items around the house e.g. share a lawnmower
- Use your local library to access books, games, movies, and events.
- Every purchase makes an impact, your pocket as well as the environment so shop wisely and ethically.
- Plan shopping trips so you don’t have to go out multiple times. This saves time, money and can help reduces CO2 emissions for transport users.
- Take a reusable bag and your reusable coffee cup on the shopping trip.
- Always check the origin of fruit or vegetables and try to take an in-season approach.
- Avoid or walk straight passed the water bottles aisle.
- Proactively ask the store staff for paper packaging, your requests will be eventually be heard by management.
The Green Shopper
Shopping with a sustainable mindset can help save money and benefit your eco-friendly principles. Try shopping local, grow your own and source products from businesses with real sustainable values. There are lots of small business owners making the effort to be environmentally friendly so keep an eye out and support them when you can!
About Recycle IT
Recycle IT is an award-winning social enterprise providing a community, personal and business collection service for all types of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) in Dublin and surrounding counties.
During 2018 Recycle IT offered to drop off and collection services to tens of thousands of homes, schools, charities and businesses across Dublin and surrounding areas collecting a range of WEEE which includes thousands of computers, cables, monitors, microwaves and screens
Recycle IT services are provided in partnership with WEEE Ireland. Recycle IT is supported by Pobal, Dormant Accounts, South Dublin County Council and authorized by the National Waste Collection Permit Office and the local authorities across Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow.